Voltron is the legendary defender. He is made up of the 5 robot lions that were hidden away from Emperor Zarkon 10,000 years ago by King Alfor. The 5 Lions are the Black Lion, the Red Lion, the Green Lion, the Blue Lion and the Yellow Lion. They are piloted by Shiro, Keith, Pidge, Lance and Hunk respectively.
Voltron is a giant guardian robot formed from the combined power of five robot lions. Each lion embodies one of five elemental forces: water, land, fire, sky, and forest. The Black Lion, largest of the group, forms the torso and head of Voltron, the Blue and Yellow lions form the legs, and the smaller Red and Green lions form the arms. With all five lions combined, their respective traits and capabilities merge to create a single cohesive combat unit greater than the sum of its parts.
In ages past, the pilots of Voltron, known as Paladins, were Alteans who lived in the Castle of Lions. The Black Paladin, Zarkon, hungered for power and control, and wished to rule rather than protect. In order to keep the full power of Voltron out of Zarkon's hands, King Alfor hid the lions on planets all across the universe. For ten-thousand years the lions waited until the arrival of five new Paladins: five pilots from planet Earth.
Components of Voltron
While each lion is unique, they each have a few shared abilities. Each lion is equipped with a variety of common functions and abilities. These include speeders that allow them to be accessed from the hangars or used as swift mobile transports in areas inaccessible to the lions, as well as a mouth cannon and a tail laser. Each lion also automatically emits a force field when parked outside the hangars. The force fields are only able to be bypassed by the lion's respective Paladin and their allies. Each Lion is also capable of a degree of sapience, able to communicate with their Paladin via a psychic-like link, revealing their capabilities to them consistently during the heat of combat.
Component of Voltron: Head, torso
Voltron Ability: The wings of the Black Lion can be used to create a shield. The Black Lion's bayard has also been used to amplify the standard sword blade of Voltron into a literal "blazing" sword with intense heat energy output.
- The Black Lion was the last out of the set to be piloted as it was hidden on the Castle of Lions, only being allowed to be unlocked after the other four lions were located and brought to the castle.
- The Black Lion is able to create a jaw blade as a weapon in its lion form.
- The Black Lion is capable of enhancing its wings, transforming them from their simple machine-like design into bladed feathers that allow it to move so fast that it is capable of phasing through solid matter and destroying several extremely large fleets of enemy ships within seconds.
Component of Voltron: Right arm
Voltron Ability: Blazing sword
- The Red Lion was the fourth lion to be found out of the set of Voltron.
- The Red Lion has the ability to fire incredibly hot beams of plasma from its mouth in order to melt targets like a concentrated blast of flame.
- The Red Lion can generate a three-pronged, back-mounted cannon that resembles a railgun that is capable of large scale destruction to the extent that it damaged a significant portion of the perimeter of Zarkon's central hub with only a single shot.
Component of Voltron: Left arm
Voltron Ability: Unknown
- Chronologically, the Green Lion was the third lion out of the set to be discovered. However, it is unclear whether the Yellow Lion or the Green Lion was found first even though the Yellow Lion is shown being found first.
- The Green Lion has been described as being the most adaptive of the lions. This allowed Pidge to install a cloaking device onto it, repurposed from the training room.
- The Green Lion can generate a back mounted cannon that induces constricting vine growths on very large targets.
Component of Voltron: Right leg
Voltron Ability: Unknown
- The Blue Lion was the first lion out of the set to be found.
- It has the special ability of being able to freeze things when the situation requires it to.
- The Blue Lion can generate a back mounted sonic cannon which can also be used as a sensor device. This sonic cannon is especially effective against aquatic enemies due to sound traveling over three times faster through water than through air, as well as the fact that many aquatic creatures have incredibly acute senses of hearing. The Baku experienced both the physically and sensorilly devestating effects of this weapon, illustrating its two-fold fighting power under water.
Component of Voltron: Left leg
Voltron Ability: Shoulder-mounted, multi-targeting cannon
- Chronologically, the Yellow Lion was the second lion out of the set to be discovered. However, we don't know whether the Yellow or the Green Lion was found first even though we see the Yellow Lion being found first.
- The Yellow Lion is much more defensive and armored than it is fast. Instead of using long - range lasers, it generally defeats targets by body - slamming them or using it's jaw. Despite this fact, the Yellow Lion remains substantially faster than light.
- The Yellow Lion can generate additional armor plates to further enhance its resilience and the gripping power of its claws.
- Unlike most versions of Voltron, the wings detach to form a shield.
- The individual lions are capable of flying at speeds significantly faster than light, as it only took the Blue Lion seconds to fly to Kerberos. This can be ascertained by the fact that it takes roughly eight minutes for light to travel from the Sun to Earth, and the distance between Earth and Kerberos is far greater than that between Earth and the Sun.
- The fact that the Lions are able to move at faster-than-light speeds without rendering their Paladins into paste in the pilot's seat indicates that Altean science has managed a way to negate inertia on organic lifeforms almost entirely, allowing the Lions to jump to their maximum speeds safely.
- Going with the aforementioned information, due to the forces of inertia on the human body, it would theoretically take several months to over a year for a human being to be able to safely enter light speed and then the same to exit it while the Lions achieve this feat instantaneously with no issues. This confirms that Alteans have managed to master inertial manipulation, which can also be seen by their distinct lack of safety harnesses of any kind in their ships.