Voltron: Legendary Defender, a series created by Netflix and DreamWorks Animation (DWA), is the fourth major television series of the Voltron franchise and the first to be a web-exclusive to Netflix. Since its initial release in 2016, the series has released three seasons, which a fourth season scheduled for October 2017. In total, the series has accumulated 37 episodes. Legendary Defender was first announced as an expansion of the existing multi-year agreement between Netflix and DreamWorks Animation. Comic books for the series have also been produced.
The official logo was released on February 8, 2016, while the entire first season was released on June 10, 2016. The second season was released on January 20, 2017, and the third on August 4th 2017 with a total of 7 episodes. A total of six more episodes are scheduled for October 13th 2017.
Defenders of the Universe
- Shiro (voiced by Josh Keaton) - (Former) Pilot of the Black Lion
- Keith (voiced by Steven Yeun) - (Former) Pilot of the Red Lion and (current) Black Lion
- Pidge (voiced by Bex Taylor-Klaus) - Pilot of the Green Lion
- Lance (voiced by Jeremy Shada) - (Former) Pilot of the Blue Lion and (current) Red Lion
- Hunk (voiced by Tyler Labine) - Pilot of the Yellow Lion
The last survivors of Planet Altea:
- Princess Allura (voiced by Kimberly Brooks) - Princess of Altea and commander / Pilot of the Castle of Lions and later Paladin of the Blue Lion
- Coran (voiced by Rhys Darby) - Allura's royal advisor and operator/mechanic of the Castle of Lions
- King Alfor (voiced by Keith Ferguson) - Allura's father and previous king of Altea, responsible for sending the lions to the far corners of the universe for protection, who died in the Altean Genocide
- Emperor Zarkon (voiced by Neil Kaplan) - Leader of the forces of Galra and conquerer of most of the known universe. He was the original Paladin of the Black Lion.
- Prince Lotor (voiced by AJ Locasio) - The son of Zarkon and heir to the Galra Empire, who assumes control of the Galra following his father's defeat at the hands of Voltron.
- Witch Haggar (voiced by Cree Summer) - Head of the Druids, a group of magic users in the service of Zarkon who gather the quintessence as a power source and create the robeasts to fight Voltron. She was previously Zarkon's Altean wife named Honerva.
- Commander Sendak (voiced by Jake Eberle) - A Galran commander tasked with capturing or destroying the lions along with Allura's castle. He is the first major enemy fought by the Paladins.
- Haxus - Sendak's second-in-command
- Commander Prorok
A total of four seasons have been confirmed for Voltron: Legendary Defender. The first totaled ten episodes, starting with "The Rise of Voltron" and concluding with "The Black Paladin". The second season, debuting on January 20th, 2017, contained thirteen episodes, using "Across the Universe" as its premiere and "Blackout" as its finale. Season three, relased on August 4th, 2017 to a total of seven episodes, began with "Changing of the Guard" and concluded with "The Legend Begins".
- See also: Voltron: Legendary Defender/Episodes
- In an interview, Tim Hedrick, Voltrons story editor, was asked "...Will we be seeing any LGBT content in Voltron?" to which he responded, "I think I'll let that play out as we go. No comment on that question."