|In Search of New Worlds|
|Based on Dairugger episode||Galactic Clash|
The Galaxy Garrison fleet discovers a new planet and touches down to investigate. Hazar sends Quark's forces to take it for the Drule Empire.
Two forces are in the middle of a heated space battle over the planet Lycon. On one side is are Drule fighters under Commander Hazar; the other side's ships look strikingly similar to those of the Voltron Vehicle Force, though they are never identified as such. Hazar is eager to claim slaves and resources from this world.
Hazar anticipates victory, but orders from Planet Doom Control drect him to abort the attack. The Grand Viceroy wishes his attention directed towards a huge spacecraft that has "invaded" Drule territory; they are unable to identify it. Hazar sends Captain Quark to intercept the intruder.
The unidentified ship is the Galaxy Garrison's Explorer; Commander Hawkins is on the bridge. He sends a report to Galaxy Garrison they are entering the Chronos galaxy, 10000 light years from earth, on their search to find new worlds to relieve their overcrowded galaxy. Captain Newley reports a "scanner glow" on the infrascanners, noting that it's their first good sign in months. Hawkins orders the Voltron Vehicle Force to stand by for launch.
In a common area, the Voltron Force kills time, feeling the effects of cabin fever during their so-far uneventful voyage. Upon hearing Hawkins' orders, Jeff is interested, but Cliff and Cric have low expectations. In the background, a card game between Hutch and Marvin turns into an argument and then a fight.
On the bridge, Sparks reports that he thinks they have detected a planet, but a magnetic belt is blocking from further analysis.
Back in the common area, the fight has turned into a brawling spectacle on the floor. Cliff moves to break it up, but Jeff holds him back, suggesting that they guys are just "blowing off steam." Lisa stops the fight; she says the control tower thinks the planet might be a winner, and that the team needs to be ready to go anytime.
Hawkins and Newley crowd around Sparks and his console, deciding whether to proceed. Some fancy maneuvering will be necessary to penetrate the magnetic belt, but they decide to go for it. The Voltron Force boards their ships.
Suddenly, Sparks calls Hawkins' attention: that's not a magnetic belt they're detecting! An incoming transmission conveys a sinister laugh; Hawkins says it "sounds like our old enemy Hazar". The Voltron Force disembark and return to the common areas.
After some time, the scanner interference is gone. A crew member posits that the magnetic interference must have been a Drule "robot attack force". The bridge crew concludes that they are clear to approach the new planet now. Newley orders the Voltron Force to launch again with urgency, citing that Hazar is on his way to claim the planet for the Drules. The Voltron Force boards their ships and launches into space.
On his command ship, Quark plots his strategy. He sends his robot spacecraft toward the planet to attack.
On planet, the Voltron Force commences exploration of the planet, taking readings and deploying sensor pods. Hawkins is pleased by the reports; the planet looks like it'll be a great place to settle.
Uh oh! Sparks has picked up something. "Robot attack planes" are approaching from two directions. The Voltron Force suddenly spots them over the horizon. It's like a swarm-- they're outnumbered 10-to-1! Newley assert that they're just robots, thus they are easier to outsmart. The battle ends quickly and without casualties, but they must set down to repair, which will leave them vulnerable.
Hawkins relates the news to Galaxy Garrison, who begin a meeting of generals and ministers at their headquarters on Earth. After attendees recap recent events, Marshall Graham blurts, "They must form Voltron!" (It is unclear exactly why he says this.) Then he explains that Voltron must only be used as a last resort (making his prior assertion even more confusing). Commodore Steele reminds attendees that Voltron has only 5 minutes of stored nuclear power. Graham asserts that the Garrison's mission depends on Voltron. (This whole scene makes little sense.)
Back on the surface, the Voltron Force and Explorer crew finish their repairs. Hawkins gets ready to lift the Explorer back into orbit.
On Quark's bridge, he is mad. His previous strike was just a waste of robots. He resolves to send their "ultimate weapon" to do the job right.
The Explorer hasn't lifted off yet when they detect Quark's new assault.The Explorer's sensors detect the new assault; the Explorer hasn't lifted off yet. The Voltron Force is sent out again to meet the threat. Suddenly, a robeast bursts out from the ground! Combat commences, but the Force is not doing any damage. Hawkins recalls the Force back; he says the Explorer will try to take off. Jeff refuses, and wants to make one more attack. Hawkins accepts, with an additional stipulation: if they aren't successful, the Force must form Voltron.
The team's next attack has little effect. Jeff gives the order to form Voltron.
"All units: assemble Voltron
Land team: form legs
Sea team: form torso and arms
Air team: form head
The fight rages between Voltron and the robeast, perilously approaching Voltron's 5-minute time limit. Voltron finally gains the upperhand and destroyes it.
Quark is angry. He vows that next time he will be victorious.
Voltron Force (those with notable lines or actions only)
Galaxy Garrison on Earth
"Why do they order me to stop? We're winning! In another few minutes that planet will be ours. We'll take thousands of new slaves. The planet is rich in gold and other treasures. I want it!"
—Hazar tells us all we need to know about planet Lycon... and himself
"What's your problem, Hutch? You got four aces, you ought'a be happy. It's a good hand!"
"I'm not happy, 'cause you got five kings, Marvin!"
—Marvin and Hutch's card game turns ugly
"If we can just penetrate that powerful magnetic belt..."
"If we try it, we'll have to cut power and go through retrojet."
"I've seen you pull off harder tricks than that, Newley."
—Hawkins and Newley propose technobabble
"Interesting. Looks a lot like Arizona."
"Where's Arizona, Jeff?"
"Uh, my planet, not yours, Lisa."
"Oh, I'm glad.
—Suck it, Arizona!
"Quark's spaceships are only robots; they can't think. If we can't outnumber them, we've just gotta outthink them!"
—Newley knows how to beat the robot swarm
"Those are wind-up toys."
"Back to the drawing board, Quark!"
—Rocky and Jeff have no trouble with Quark's robot fighters
"But remember he has only five minutes of stored nuclear power. He's our last line of defense."
—Commodore Steele notes Voltron's limitation
- Voltron weapons used:
- wing beam, spinning blades (not named!)
- Hawkins somehow knows they're up against Quark, before receiving any intelligence or contact informing him of such
- These notable characters had speaking lines in this episode, but we have yet to learn their names:
- Graham (though we do learn that his rank is Marshall)
Notable Edits from the Original Armored Fleet Dairugger XV EpisodeEdit
- In Dairugger, this episode marked the first encounter between the Galaxy Garrison and the enemy empire. Here, the two sides are portrayed as well-acquainted.
- The footage of Hazar is taken from another episode; he did not appear in the Japanese version of this episode
- Commander Hawkins's Japanese-show counterpart Ise is only a captain, equal in rank to Newley's counterpart Asimov. Asimov commands the Explorer (i.e. the Rugger Guard), while Ise commands the Vehicle Force (i.e. Rugger Team).
- Dairugger makes no mention of the enemy or allied ships being robots; this was added to presumably tone down the violence.
- Of course, using robots as cannon fodder would not be surprising even in the original source material, as a robot is clearly shown in the series.
- Voltron's 5-minute-limit is entirely invented in the US version (and in future episodes, completely forgotten). Maybe he gets upgraded?
- The opening scene looks like the Voltron Force is fighting, but later dialog and circumstances indicate that they are somewhere else at that time. It appears editors did not choose very appropriate footage in portraying this battle.
- At 14:02, Cric and the Sea Team are talking, but the voices are Jeff and the Air Team.
- It looks like there's 3 extra Sea Team members in the wide pan shot of the common area.
- They could be support crew for the Sea Team, doing stuff from fixing the engines to waxing the vehicles.
- Hawkins mentions that the Chronos Galaxy is 10,000 light-years from Earth, making it closer than the Andromeda Galaxy. Either Hawkins flunked astronomy, or there is a near-invisible galaxy closer than Andromeda, undetectable with 21st century technology.